HOT… SWEET… CHOCOLATE!
What more is there to say, other than YUM!
This chocolate cake/cup-cake recipe is my all time favorite. It is moist, rich in flavor, and with the right amount of heat to be memorable. The addition of coffee adds a moistness from the oils in coffee while creating an even deeper richness of flavors to the raw cacao chocolate and exotic spices.
Preparing the Secret ingredient, “The Pepper Syrup”, ahead of time and keeping plenty in the fridge will make cake baking day all the faster.
- Cayenne Peppers – 1 or 2, (other hot chili peppers work as well)
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 1 ½ cups
Simmer these ingredients for about 20 minutes. Cool, and store in a sealed container in fridge.
Chocolate Cake (this recipe is for 2 dozen regular size cupcakes, 1 dozen jumbo cupcakes, or an 18-inch cake. (Recipe can be easily cut in half for less cupcakes or a 9 inch/ 2-layer cake.)
- Eggs – 4
- Sugar – 2 cups light, and 2 cups dark (4 all together)
- Milk – 2 cups (whole milk)
- Oil – 1 cup sunflower oil
- Pepper syrup – ½ cup
Mix these wet ingredients together.
- Cacao – 1 ½ cups
- Flour – 3 ½ cups
- Baking powder – 1 tablespoon
- Baking soda – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Cinnamon – 2 teaspoons
- Allspice – 1 teaspoon
Mix these dry ingredients, and then add the wet ingredient mix. Batter will be thick.
- Hot Coffee – 1 ¾ cups of very hot coffee
Slowly pour coffee while mixing. Batter will thin, and any lumps with smooth out.
Fill prepared cupcake tins, or cake pans. (For cupcakes, use papers. For cake, spray non-stick oil on bottom and sides of pan, lightly dust with flour, and then tap out excess flour.)
Bake at 350 until tester comes out clean. (about 25-35 for cupcakes, and 45-55 for cake)
Cool Completely and then Frost
- Butter – 2 sticks room temperature
- Cacao – 1 ½ cups
- Powdered Sugar – 4-5 cups (depending on desired thickness)
Whip these ingredients. Add Prepared melted chocolate (below)
- Melted Dark Chocolate 8 oz (70% or more cacao)
- Pepper Syrup – ½ cup added to melted chocolate
Slowly pour the prepared melted chocolate into the frosting batter and whip. Add whipping cream to obtain desired consistency.
- Cream – ½ cup to ¾ cup of whipping cream
Whip all ingredients until desired consistency. If you apply Frosting with a knife, you will want frosting thick, if you pipe it on, you will want it a littler thinner so that it squeezes out of the piping bag. (But not so thin that it pours out)
Frost the cooled cakes and INDULGE!