Pomegranate Molasses has a special way of creating a sweet and sour taste to food. I particularly enjoy the integration of flavors from a well-known Persian dish (Fesenjan), that I have tweaked to satisfy my own taste desires: Chicken with a Facelift!
The crushed walnuts are what create a lovely thickener to the sauce, while the many other layers of flavor still shine through the moment you indulge in a one bite combination of texture and taste.
The dish is easy to prepare, and the only extra time involved would be if you chose to make your own broth from the chicken bones, instead of store bought broth and deboned chicken.
Home Made Broth recipe is in our recipe collection.
Pumpkin Chicken with Pomegranate Ingredients: (serves about 4)
- Walnuts – 1 cup, lightly toasted and ground
- Broth – 1 cup for walnut base, 1 cup for chicken base, more if you cook rice in the broth.
- Chicken thighs – about 8 (2 cups chopped), deboned (use bones for broth)
- Oil – 2 tablespoons – walnut oil, or olive oil
- Onions – 2 cups chopped
- Pumpkin Puree – 2 cups
- Spices – 1 tablespoon of each – salt, pepper, allspice, garlic, turmeric powder (or 2 tablespoons freshly grated)
- Red pepper flakes – ¼ teaspoon (optional)
- Pomegranate molasses – ¼ cup. (recipe for homemade is in our collection)
- Brown Rice – 3 cups of cooked rice, preferable cooked in homemade broth
Simmer the ground walnuts and ½ cup of water in a small pan until it begins to bubble. Add broth and continue to simmer on low while preparing the chicken.
Saute onions in the oil until they begin to caramelize. Add chicken and brown slightly. Add the pumpkin, spices, broth, and pomegranate molasses. Cover and simmer on low for about 15 minutes.
Add walnut sauce, cover and continue simmering for another 40 minutes.
Delicious served over rice.
Garnish with pomegranate seeds, or tri-colored, confetti cut carrots.